Friday, August 29, 2008

"Here an acai berry, there an acai berry, everywhere an acai berry..."

Everywhere I go, I hear about the acai berry. After being sick with this, that, and the other almost everyday since I gave birth to Skye, I was researching immune system boosting foods, and it popped up here, there, and everywhere. (Hence the title of this blog.)

First of all, maybe its because I live in the middle of nowhere, but how do you even pronounce it? Uh-ky? Uh-kay? Ah-chai? ...I have no clue. Its supposed to be the new "superfood." I am all for superfoods, I love salmon, avocados, blueberries, almonds, and even olive oil. But what is so awesome about this berry I cannot pronounce, have never seen, and have no idea what its used for or tastes like?

Last year's fad "superfood" was the pomegranate. Whoever the owner of the POM company is, is undoubtedly raking in the dough right now. I worked in produce last summer, and we sold out of POM constantly. Finally, I decided to try the stuff. Honestly, I found it rather bland, and was terrified it was going to stain everything in my house if I spilled it. I grew up with my grandmother's pomegranate jelly - now THAT is pomegranate, my friends! The watered-down bland drink? Not even close. Now I'm not doubting its "superpowers," it is undoubtedly good for you - afterall its a fruit to begin with, and loaded with antioxidants - but was it worth a whole craze? (Or its own company bearing its first syllable?)

I have been tempted to try the acai berry just to see what all the fuss is about. I can get an acai smoothie something-or-other at the Human Bean (local coffee chain). But then again, I love my chai, so I have yet to branch out. Besides, what if I hate it? Then I have just wasted $4.00 on an overpriced fruit smoothie just because its supposed to be ultra-good for me.

But here is my biggest question.... WHERE do you find one of these darn berries? I know they are from South America (the Amazon rainforest, I guess), but where does one find a berry - not in a smoothie, or powder form - but a real, honest-to-goodness berry? My grovery store doesn't carry them. I have never seen one anywhere in my entire life. Yet all of a sudden its the new "superfood." At least I had heard of, and eaten, salmon, avocados, almonds, pomegranates, and olive oil before. The acai berry just popped up out of relative nowhere, and I am supposed to all of a sudden jump on the "acai berries are awesome" bandwagon? As far as I'm concerned, its some mythical berry. Heck, for all I know, it could just be a blueberry with an agenda.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but seriously, WHERE did this berry come from out of the blue like this anyway and become the "next big thing"?!?!

2008: Out with Britney Spears, and in with the acai berry. ....Well, at least the acai can keep its image clean. I guess it has THAT going for it!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Well, Ive never heard of an Acai Berry before!! LOL!!