Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Apathy

Okay, I know, I know! I swore I wouldn't use this blog as a forum for political rants. This one is only kinda-sorta a political rant though. Nothing that will (or should, anyway) get me in trouble for stating my strong political opinions.

Anyway.... As most of you know, we are moving to a bigger house in 2 weeks, so we have begun boxing a few things up. Sunday, as I was boxing up some fancy-schmancy dishes from our China hutch, an old opinions page from our local paper caught my eye. Initially it caught my eye because I recognized an old friend of my sister's from when she lived here (the only "good influence" she associated with around here), but then further piqued my curiousity when I saw what the opinion question was about.

We have this hot controversy going on right now over CalPine wanting to bring in an LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) plant in and put it upstream from us about 20 miles, right in our beautiful Columbia River. This has been a big debate for a few years now, but the latest installment is whether or not we citizens will allow them to put some of their pipelines above ground running through some of our public parks. (As a mom who's kids enjoy our county's parks, you can probably guess where I stand on the issue.)

Anyway, back to the article.... The question asked was just that: How do you feel about Liquid Natural Gas pipelines in city parks? Everyone had an opinion (most not liking the idea), except for one guy. He said, "Well, I've seen the signs up, but I haven't really thought about it."

Which raises my question.... How can people be so apathetic to the issues in the world around them? I mean, you can even forget for a moment that this is an election year. Don't people at least care about what goes on in their own backyard?!? While I think its completely nuts to allow above-ground LNG piplelines in parks, even if you disagree with me, how can someone NOT have an opinion??

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand people who don't think it matters to vote. (And consequently, these are usually the ones who spend the next 4 years belly-aching about the president. In my opinion, if you don't vote, then you have no room to complain!) Or people who say they don't give a darn one way or the other. How can someone NOT have an opinion on something that affects the world they live in?

Jeremy and I are in the unique position of being pretty much a bipartisan couple. While we both are registered non-affiliated, he leans more right and I lean more left. Believe me, we have opinions!! And just because ours are different, doesn't mean we can't respect the other's opinion. But that right there is my point - HAVE a position! Who cares what it is, just have one, for gosh sakes! I mean, you are either pro-life or pro-choice. You are either for the 2nd Amendment (right to bear arms) or against it. You are either for LNG pipelines in parks or against it. Etc., etc., etc.... Seriously, HOW can someone NOT care?!?

.....Sorry, but I just don't get it. And (obviously) it majorly bugs me!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I completely know where you're coming from and agree with you!