Thursday, September 4, 2008

Better than Elmers

Has anyone ever noticed how badly Rice Krispies drenched in milk sticks to things? Nah, probably not. Or at least you've never thought about it the way I have. I'm wierd, I know (and so does everyone else). But being a SAHM, you are confronted with the not-so-fun cleaning projects such as trying to unglue Rice Krispies from your dining table.

Something "magical" happens when you add milk to Krispies. Don't ask me what it is, I never did well in chemistry. But I do know something happens. Milk alone sticks a little, Krispies alone don't stick to anything. But add milk to Krispies and presto! You have to practically use a crow bar to pry the Krispies off the table! I have actually shredded the scrubby side of a kitchen sponge before trying to get Krispies unglued! The Krispies took on a fuzzy green appearance, but they didn't come off the table. Alas, I am usually left with one, and only one, viable option. Bring out the big guns - my own fingernails. Gross, gross, gross!!

I swore off Rice Krispies in my house for a period. But then I discovered that generic Rice Krispies (actually called Crispy Rice - my kids constantly remind me of the difference between the generic and the "real deal") is pretty much the cheapest cereal there is, so I reluctantly buy the stuff anyway, cringing, knowing that I will be prying Krispies off my table everyday until the box is empty.

I have actually wondered (like I said, I am wierd) if I could use Rice Krispy "glue" for art projects for the kids. Or to fix broken toys. Or to do wood working, because, ya know, I have always wanted to try my hand at that. (No, not really.) Seriously, the stuff sticks as well as any Elmer's glue I have ever used - certainly better than their paste, which may taste okay (believe me, I've tried it, thanks to a kindergarten dare by Bret Rinehart), but doesn't work worth a darn.

Hmm.... I may be onto something....

4 comments:

Sara said...

I soooo know what you mean!! and I too, hate using my fingernails!

Missy! said...

I found the perfect solution...put a damp dishcloth on them and it soak for a few minutes. It turns gooey and wipes right off.

Megan said...

I am going to have to try that! Thanks for the tip!

Beth said...

Yep, we end up with rice krispy's glue on our table too and it drives me bonkers and I have to use my fingernail too! Yucky, but effective! I know about getting it moist and all that too but its quicker with my fingernail. LoL.