Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Burning the candle at both ends (and the middle)

Obviously, when I was pregnant with Skye, I forgot that babies usually take more than a month to figure out that humans aren't nocturnal beings. Somehow, I had it in my mind that since she was born in July, by the time Seth started school again, everything would be hunky-dory. I knew there would still be middle of the night diaper changes and feedings, I didn't forget that part, but I really thought early school mornings would be an easy adjustment. WRONG!!

Skye is going through this phase where she "snacks" all day, then 9PM rolls around, and she starts eating non-stop for 3-4 hours. (Its exhausting, and hard on my poor "girls"! Ouch! ...And how my milk supply even regenerates that fast, I have absolutely no clue.) But anyway, she is a late-night chow hound, and will stay up til 1AM (or even later) pigging out. My other kids never did this. And last night was no exception. She started the feeding frenzy about 9:30PM, and didn't let up til almost 2AM! Thankfully though, she only woke once to nurse after that.

Then there is my dear, darling husband who always "helps" me by setting the alarm for 1/2 an hour to an hour BEFORE the time I specify him to set it for. I have no idea why he does this, and yes, it bugs the heck out of me. I told him to set it for 7AM last night. He assured me he set it for 7. The darn thing went off at 6:30!

So...between my baby daughter and my husband....well, do the math. I got a whopping 4 1/2 hours of sleep last night!

Then.... I spent the day doing housework and keeping the girls entertained. I dropped Seth at school (amidst the pandemonium of parents and students swarming every room and corridor like a hive of bees), fed Joy breakfast, snack and lunch, fed the baby I don't know how many times but it was a lot, changed the baby I don't know how many times but it was a lot, picked up the living and dining rooms, vacuumed, rotated laundry, swept the kitchen floor, picked Seth up from school, made dinner, ate dinner, did dishes, cleaned the bathroom, fought the big kids for an hour and a half over bedtime (Joy was wound up and wouldn't stay in bed quietly, which made Seth yell over and over in frustration), bathed the baby.... Such was my day. How I did it all on 4 1/2 hours I have absolutely NO idea.

So anyone who thinks stay-at-home moms/housewives do nothing all day, you are SORELY mistaken!! I mean, could you do your job, from 6:45AM til who knows when, on 4 1/2 hours of sleep, only to get up the next day and do it all over?? Yeah....I didn't think so.

So give us SAHMs some credit!! We rock!!

3 comments:

Sara said...

does not sound fun Meg!

when are you moving? it'll be so fun to add packing to your list of things to do huh? :S

Megan said...

We're moving in approximately 3 weeks, so the packing is going to begin in a few days. Yikes! Bad timing, but it will be soooo nice once we get moved in there.

Beth said...

Haha about your husband setting the alarm earlier than you tell him to. Do we have the same husband? Mine does that too. Drives me bonkers!!

Your day(s) sound SO MUCH like mine! I am thankful that Seth is 1 year old now and doesnt wake up during the night, but I do fight with him teething right now and not wanting to take a nap during the day. Tires me out with him up so long crawling and getting into absolutely everything! It makes cleaning up a full time job when you have Seth behind you literally throwing it all back on the floor. LOL!! Such is life as a stay at home mommy!