Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Old house in the morning" woes

I have been up for an hour and 20 minutes. In that amount of time, I have decided that old houses royally suck in the morning!

Its wierd. I grew up in an old house, and back then these things never really phased me. But I guess when its all you know, its normal. Since leaving home, everywhere I have lived has had efficient electric heat and appliances that are reliable. It has become my new normal.

So anyway.... I got up at 7:05 this morning, crawled ever-so-reluctantly out of bed to go wake Seth, and as soon as my feet hit the floor, I wanted to crawl back into bed. (Nevermind the fact it was partially because I was tired. That is true, but not my main point here.) Hardwood floors on a fall morning are like walking on huge blocks of ice. In direct opposition to the laws of nature, it is usually warmer downstairs than upstairs in this house, so I came downstairs to get warm(er), and climb in the shower. Nuh-uh. Not warmer. Still freezing my heiny off. On my way to the bathroom, I checked the internal and external temperatures on our high-tech cordless gauge. It was only 55.2 degrees inside!! No wonder I was up half the night fighting Jeremy for the blankets!

So I climbed into the shower, but that presented its own set of challenges. Within 2 seconds, my external temperature went up about 60 degrees! Whoever plumbed this place was an idiot. I kid you not, our shower has only 2 temps - "lukewarm at best," and "cook you like a lobster." While I don't really enjoy being boiled while I shampoo myself, it beats cold water. Oh, and I should mention, due to bathroom ventilation issues (there is no ventilation system other than the window, which is NOT an option on a freezing cold morning!), I had to shower with the door to the spare room wide open, which filled the bathroom with cold air as soon as I shut the shower off. At that point, I was not just cold, I was "wet and cold," which is an entirely new and more intense level of cold.

Ah yes, the joys of an old house on a cold day! Its just like reliving my youth. ...Well, the being cold part anyway.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I hate starting the morning in a bad way! I hope the rest of the day turned out great!