Saturday, February 21, 2009

Stupidest invention of all time (random obsevation/commentary/gripe of the day)

I am talking about automatic faucets. I don't know ANYONE who likes them or thinks they are a good invention. Sure, they conserve water, which is noble, but my goodness....could there BE a stupider invention out there? (That is rhetorical.)

We were flying home from the LA area today. (Disneyland! Woohoo!) I have this "thing" about airplane bathrooms. While I am not claustrophobic, I just don't like the idea of being completely confined with not even enough room to turn around, and the sink practically under my chin while I am going potty. Just not my idea of a good time.

So anyway, we finally landed at PDX, and after 2 glasses of ice water in an hour and a half (well, more like 1 glass and 2 sips....Skye decided my lap needed to be watered...), you can only imagine how bad I had to go when I got off the plane. Jeremy wanted to book it to baggage claim, but I insisted we take a potty break first.

Now, I don't mind the automatic flushers at all. In fact, I think they are cool. Thumbs up to whomever invented that! The less I have to touch a public toilet, the better. At PDX, however, they have these ones that you pull up for #1 and down for #2, in an effort to conserve water. (There was even a whole explanation on properly using it on the stall door. Can we say...eeew?!?) Have you ever tried to lift a public toilet lever with your foot? Its not as simple as it might sound. (Either that, or we have just confirmed that I have terrible balance. Or maybe a little of both.) I almost fell over.

Then on to wash my hands with the automatic sink. I really, honestly, don't mind the little timed buttons; you know, the button that you push and it runs out after about 7 seconds or whatever. I mean, like its that hard to push the button another time or 2.... But anyway, somebody somewhere decided that hand-washing needed to be completely "hands-off," and invented the automatic sink.

For those who may not know, let me fill you in. There is a sensor near the faucet that "sees" your hand, and then knows to spray. When it no longer sees your hand, it abruptly shuts off. The problem is, the sensor has verrrrry limited eyesight! I had to try 2 different sinks today before I could get one to cooperate! You have to hold your hand in exactly the right spot for exactly the right amount of time......and then not move it from that spot! Which, if you are properly washing your hands, is impossible, because you are moving them all around trying to get the soap and water all over.

So yeah. There I was, waving my hands back and forth, up and down, side to side, even in diagonal patterns, trying to get the darn sensor to see my hand....and well, I think it had its eyes closed or something because the first sink, even after about 30 to 40 seconds STILL wasn't working. So I moved onto another sink, and that one took me about 15 seconds to get to work. It sprayed just enough to get my hands wet, I grabbed some soap and lathered up, but then it took another 15-20 seconds to get the thing BACK on so that I could rinse my hands. ....And this is supposed to simplify things....how?!

Can I have my old-fashioned timed button back, please? I mean, really....

No comments: