Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Its official...I am a glutton for punishment!

What the heck was I thinking?!?!

This morning, I had to be up early to take Seth to school. Normally, I get up at 7:20 or thereabouts to make Seth's lunch, Jeremy takes him on his way to work, then I slooooowly get in the shower and get the rest of my morning routine done so that I can get Joy off to preschool (in theory) at 9. (The reason I say "in theory" is because I am a chronic "running-late"-er. I'm lucky if I get her there by 9:20.) But anyway, this morning Jeremy had to be at work at 7:30, so it was my job to get all 3 kids up and in the van by 7:45 to get Seth to school by 7:55. (And by some miracle, he was on time!)

So as I was driving home from the school, I had these grand ambitions of getting a jump on the day and running copious errands. I was doing well til about 10, at which point, the baby started fussing big time, so I decided to put it off until after I picked up Seth. Why make 2 trips out, and be on a time frame, with a fussy baby in tow? I think in the back of my mind, I knew it was a bad idea to put it off, but even after 28 years, I guess I still haven't yet learned my lesson about procrastination.

So I picked up Seth and headed up to Astoria. I had 3 places I really wanted to go, and 2 that were on the mental "if I am still sane I'll do them today" list. Needless to say, I barely made it through 2, and it took me 3 1/2 hours!

As much as I love my kids, and they are good kids with pretty good manners, it is nevertheless a HUGE toll on my sanity to go anywhere with all 3 of them - especially the grocery store.

Seth is in the whole begging phase. You know... "Hey Mom! Can I get a mango? Hey Mom! Can we get a frozen pizza? Hey Mom! Look at this cool toothbrush with Batman on it!" You get the picture. Add to that the fact he likes to touch everything and wander everywhere. Thank goodness Safeway is small and Clatsop County residents are, in general, pretty trustworth, because I nearly lost him twice. He runs ahead, he lags behind, but rarely is he right where he needs to be. Well, unless he is asking me for something.

Joy has this "thing" about riding on the back of the cart. The problem is, it makes it extremely hard to steer! I have to ground myself, bare down, and put my weight into every corner as to not tip my cart, dumping my groceries on the floor and both my girls on their heads. And being the stubborn child she is (she is her father's girl!), getting her to step off the cart, even for a split second, is a major challenge, and one I rarely have the energy to fully commit to. Oh, and lest I should forget to mention, we can NEVER go more than 2 aisles in without her whining that she needs to "go pee willy, willy, willy, willy, willy, willy bad" and can't wait because she's "almost going to wet my pants." And strangely, Safeway is the only place where she is totally convinced she can't hold it. (She had an accident at Safeway once when she was 2 1/2. Maybe that's it. Who knows?) It makes for a lot of waiting and backtracking. Rather irritating.

Then there's the baby. Overall, she isn't too bad because she is confined to the cart. But the main problem with her is that I can't park the cart close to the side of the aisle, or in 2 seconds flat she grabs a sale sticker and shoves it in her mouth. Then when I take it away, she screams bloody murder. So I then am that annoying lady who parks her cart in the middle of the aisle. And, without fail, EVERY single time I get to the register, she falls apart. I don't know what it is, but that is always the precise moment she decides she needs to nurse immediately and everyone is going to hear about it if it doesn't happen right then and there.

Its wierd though. I KNOW this is the trend. Yet, every single time I shop with all 3, I make a mental note not to do it again for a long while. But yet, every 2 weeks or so, I convince myself it won't be that stressful and decide to brave it. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

So yes, I am officially a glutton for punishment. I mean, why else would I put myself through this?

No comments: