Saturday, May 7, 2011

Friends

I wrote this about 2 years ago, and thought I would share it again. Its about the diversity of my friends, and how powerful that is to me. This was originally formatted addressing my Facebook friends, but I wanted a way to archive and more easily retrieve it when I need to, so I am posting it here.



I have staunch liberals, and staunch conservatives, a few Libertarians, and a whole bunch of you who fall in the middle.

I have Christians, Catholics, Mormons, Taoists, atheists, agnostics, scientists, and those who have been burned by religion and therefore no longer embrace it.

The vast majority are straight, but a few are gay.

I have those who have served our country proudly. Or have been their spouse's backbone while they served.

I have some friends who double as family members.

I have some who are married, some who are divorced, and some who have yet to find their special someone.

I have those I have known for 20+ years, and those whom I have only gotten to know over the past few months.

I have lovers of music, lovers of theater, lovers of art, lovers of science, lovers of nature....

I have some who are financially secure and some who are not so secure.

I have friends who have, or are working on, PhD's, and some who are still completing high school.

I have friends who are white collar, friends who are blue collar, and friends who are stay-at-home parents.

I have friends who are city people, and friends who are country folk.

I have friends who shop Prada and Gucci, and friends who love a good old t-shirt and Birkenstocks.

I have friends with as many as 8 children, some who are currently pregnant, some with new babies, and some who have made the decision not to have children at all. I even have some who are grandparents.

I have some who are serious and some who are complete jokesters.

I have some who live right down the road, and some who live as far away as Spain, Austria, and Portugal.

I have friends who are outspoken and passionate about their personal beliefs, and those who choose to keep those things to themselves.

I have some still in their teens, all the way up to those in their 50's and 60's.

I have some who are experiencing some of the best times of their lives, and some who are going through the worst hardships.

Most have seen me at my best, and a number have seen me at my worst (and lovingly helped me through it).



I could go on and on.... But suffice it to say, I love the diversity of my friends! And here is why. While I may not always agree with all of you on all things, and you may not always agree with me, you all share a commonality. You challenge me. You challenge me to question myself, my environment, and my beliefs. You push me to be a stronger person. You inspire me to be a better mother, a better wife, a better friend, and a better human being. You encourage me to grow closer to God. You challenge me to study and learn more about the world around me and not just accept everything I hear, see, and read at face value. You keep me smiling and laughing and taking life lightly. You continually remind me of where I've been, where I am, and where I am going. You offer me support when I need it most, even though (I admit) it is sometimes unreciprocated or I don't thank you enough.



Well, here is me saying thank you! Thank you, each and every one of you, for being who you are. I wouldn't change a thing about any of you because you are shaping who I am, and I can never thank you enough for that! :) So...keep on keepin' on!!

No comments: